Monday, March 7, 2011

Liver biopsy done ...

I have decided that if given the opportunity to choose between an upper endoscopy and a liver biopsy, I'll take the upper endoscopy every time.

Liver biopsies?  They tend to hurt. 

Think of it like this.  A very nice nurse gives you just enough sedation to keep you from bitching too loudly, and then a doctor tells you to exhale for ten seconds, while he shoves a knife in your side and removes part of your liver.  Then you're told to breathe normally.

You are then wheeled back to your little curtain-enclosed area, and asked how you're doing.  In answering, I used the term "uncomfortable" while rubbing my shoulder which had inexplicably started to hurt.  The doctor noticed that I was rubbing my shoulder, and said that pain was from my liver as they had to go through my diaphragm to get the liver tissue.  I asked if my liver had moved.  I thought I was joking; he did not.  The doctor said I should take deep breaths.  Easier said than done.

The nurse then brings me some percocet, which eventually allows me to breathe fairly freely.

While grateful that the percocet took away the pain, I wasn't too happy that it knocked me on my proverbial ass for two days.  I ended up calling in sick to work the next day because I just didn't feel comfortable enough to drive.  And then I slept.  And slept.  And slept some more.

I think next time I'll just ask for Extra-Strength Tylenol and grit my teeth and bear it.

Today I find out the results of the biopsy, and then hopefully get this merry go round to start it's next revolution.

Between the doctor appointments, the interminable waiting, financial worries, and my natural insanity, I am not sleeping well, which means I'm sitting here at work today, not having slept more than a couple of hours last night, and trying not to lose my temper over the loud noises and the general stupidity of life, love and the pursuit of happiness, or lack thereof. 

Whew!!!  It's Monday, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment