Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An Observation ...

I've noticed the oddest thing about people lately.

There have been a couple of times when my current health status has come up with casual acquaintances. I always say something fairly vague, such as "I'm going through some medical stuff, right now" hoping to minimize the dialog about specifics, but not actually like or reduce the communication to everyday platitudes.

If somebody had given me that information, I would have said, "are you okay?" or "do you need anything?" or something similar.

Interestingly enough, most people haven't responded that way.  They've immediately gotten a funny look on their face, followed by a startingly abrubt change in subject.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally fine with it, but it is quite interesting to see that reaction.  Are people frightened of this subject?  Is it just a display of etiquette?  The old, "shhhhh, don't embarrass anybody?"  Uncomfortable?  I honestly don't know.  But it is fascinating, and maybe the next time I'm working on a character, I'll remember that reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment